Sunday, October 6, 2013

Storytelling Sunday - Freddy

I'm joining in this month with Sian's Storytelling Sunday, sharing another one of my precious things and a little story behind it. This is Freddy...


During the summer that I was about 8 years old I participated in an Arts & Crafts group held at our town hall. This was both an exciting and scary thing for me. I guess I've always been a crafter at heart so I couldn't wait to go be creative and make things, but at the same time I was (and still am) terribly shy so the idea of going to a strange place with people I didn't know was definitely frightening to me. However, the lure of crafting won out and I went. I don't actually remember much about the whole experience except for the day we were to bring a sock from home so we could make sock dolls. This had to have been my first attempt at sewing - the proof is in all those crooked, crossed, multi-coloured stitches! I made this little doll, named him Freddy and loved him because he had come from my own two hands. Born of an old sock!

Fast forward a few months to the school year. Jen and I shared a bedroom - it was a mess and really needed to be tidied up. As we were getting ready for school one morning our mother told us that if we didn't clean our room when we got home that day she was going to gather up everything that was lying around and throw it away. As sometimes happens between parents and children, parents make idle threats without realizing how it will affect their children, and children in their innocence take those threats to heart and take them very seriously. I feared that my mother might start throwing things away while we were at school so I grabbed Freddy, put him in my schoolbag and brought him along with me to school. I remember going to my locker at recess, taking him out of my bag and saying to him, "Don't worry, Freddy, you're safe here." It's funny to look back at the situation now but it wasn't funny to me at the time.

I have no recollection of whether we cleaned our room or not and I seriously doubt that my mother would have thrown away any of our belongings. But as an 8-year old girl, with the prospect of losing some of my possessions, Freddy was the one thing that was precious to me and was the only thing I "saved". 

There are lots of great stories about more precious things linked up on Sian's blog. Go and have a read - you won't be disappointed!

Until next time...
Susan :-)

8 comments:

  1. How lovely that you still have Freddy - and that he was the only thing you saved all those years ago too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing Freddy again. Great story and I have no recollection of Mom's cleaning threat. I guess I didn't save a thing! LOL You were an awesome crafter for the age of 8 and Freddy has stood the test of time. He really is very cute even if he came from an old pilly polyester sock. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is soooo cute!!! nice story LOL. Who's sock? dbnl

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! You really were a talented crafter even at that age..he has so much personality sewn in there, it's easy to see. He looks like he is excited to remember his trip out for the day if you ask me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. October 6th,2013 at 3:30 P.M.
    A nice story as your mother was kind not to throw out anything, where as your cousins were not so lucky as their dad did throw out Donna's Raggdy Ann doll, her Lambie Pie animal and her doll stroller. David's garage is all that I remember which he had a temper and bashed it in himself and with Rob I am not sure but I think it was his horse that you ride at the end of a stick and other things of the boys. I myself was so devastated with their loss as they did not clean up the basement when told to do on a Saturday when I was away from the house.
    annsalert

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great story and wonderful that you still have Freddy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He definitely looks well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely story and Freddy is so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.