Tuesday, September 3, 2013

More of the Scavenger Hunt...

You wouldn't know it today by the temperature - it's 26C, 29C with the humidity - but fall is definitely on its way.  I've heard the geese honking overhead lately and seen them congregating on ponds, which is probably a sign that they're getting ready for their big trip back to warmer climates.  I also heard the school bell ringing down the street this morning - proof that summer is over, so I'm trying to wrap up the Summertime Photo Scavenger Hunt that Rinda hosted once again this year.

At the beginning of August, Richard and I took the LRT downtown so I could capture some of the photos I needed.  I don't use public transportation very often so I am a bit like a little kid when the occasion arises.  I totally enjoy the ride and all the people-watching that I can do (which for me is the best part of the whole trip!) Once we'd arrived downtown we had lunch at a nice sandwich place and then set out in search of some of the items on the list.

This was my first time seeing Edmonton's City Hall.  I thought the triangular glass roof and enormous clock tower where quite impressive, but what I especially liked was the large wading pool complete with water sprays that sits right in front.  I like the idea of  people being able to come down here to let their kids cool off and have fun in the water.

#3 City Hall


Winspear Centre, on the other hand, is not at all an impressive building on the outside, but I have been there with Jen and Rob to see a comedy show and the inside is very nice.

#2 Theatre for Performing Arts

And finally, sitting directly across from City Hall is this sculpture (statue?) which I thought makes for an original bench.  It is called "Lunchbreak" and was created by J. Seward Johnson Jr.

#10 A Bench that is Outside

And that was how we spent a few hours downtown one Saturday afternoon before getting back on the LRT for some more people-watching and heading back home.

Until next time...
Susan :-)

3 comments:

  1. You aren't kidding about the people watching. It is fun to do. You see so many interesting groups, that is for sure. We sure did yesterday when we were in St. Paul for the fair. ;)
    These are very cool photos. I love the statue on the bench. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your captures are terrific and I especially love the bench. Not sure that one could be topped. You are doing so great with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the bench, it's amazing how different everyone's are.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.