Thursday, August 8, 2013

Fishermen & Dinosaurs...Photo Scavenger Hunt

I'm back with a couple more photos that I took for Rinda's Summertime Photo Scavenger Hunt

Richard was on vacation the first few days of this week so we decided to check out the Royal Alberta Museum to get a photo of a dinosaur.  We've always liked visiting museums and this was our first time since moving here in 2010.  There was a really interesting exhibit called "The Art of Seating: 200 Years of American Design" which featured chairs from the early 19th century to the present.  There are some truly amazing chairs in this world!  This museum also has an impressive live insect collection which had me feeling itchy just looking at them!

As we entered the first gallery I was disappointed to see a sign stating that it was forbidden to take photographs.  I'm a rule follower so the thought of taking a picture when I was not allowed to, and the possibility of getting caught, bothered me.  But as we moved along I saw many people with their cameras in action, flashes included, and they seemed oblivious that they were breaking the rules.  As we approached the dinosaur display I was happy to see that the security guard was nowhere in sight and the room was empty.  I quickly got out my camera and snapped a few shots before anyone could see me.  This dinosaur is the "Albertasaur" which was discovered in Alberta in 1933. It was a small, carnivorous tyrannosaur which existed 80 to 65 million years ago.  I suppose this is an "illegal" photo of sorts but I sure am happy to have it!

#20 Dinosaur


We also spent a day at an "urban fishing pond" in the northeast of the city.  The pond is supposedly stocked with trout but it was a hot day and those fish were not biting for anyone.  Still, it was a great day to be outside.  We had a picnic lunch and then I read a book and enjoyed watching the Canada geese roam about while Matthew and Richard fished. 

  #19 Fishermen


Doing this photo challenge has really encouraged us to get out and explore some of the things that the city has to offer and I'm thankful for that. 

Until next time...
Susan :-)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the Dino!! Ben is so into them. I showed him the pic and he was so excited to see a T-Rex. You have reminded me, I need to get him to the Science Museum of MN before school starts in 2.5 weeks.
    A little birdie told me there is a Cameo now. ;) So excited for you both. Have fun with your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann

    A great photo of the Dinosaur and I need to visit here in Toronto "The Science Centre Museum" to get my photo. The photo of the Fishermen is lovely and I shall get at the cottage next week your uncle John fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just scrapped photos of dinosaurs, they are favourites of ours. Museums are always a favourite place for us to visit. Glad the hunt is getting you out and about :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.