Thursday, April 11, 2013

Tiny Shiny Sequins (the real story)

If you follow my sister Jen's blog then you already know that she has imposed a No Buy Challenge on herself for 2013.  If you don't follow her blog you can read all about how it's going here, herehere and here.  Now, yesterday at the end of a blog post Jen made brief mention of some sequins which she had acquired.  I'm here to tell you how the whole thing really went down. <wink>

 
We got together as usual for Scrappy Tuesday (which was actually a Knitting Tuesday, but that's beside the point).  After a nice lunch out at a great sandwich shop we decided to stop into the local thrift store for a look around.  We spent a good while hunting for treasures and toward the end I spied a bag of sequins.  The conversation went something like this:

Susan: Hey, look at this bag of sequins for only a dollar.

Jen (voice slightly raised as tends to happen when she gets excited about scrapbooking possibilities): Wow!!! Those are great!

Susan: Are you going to buy them?

Jen: I can't.  The challenge.  Those sequins are really great!

Susan: But it's only a dollar....how about if I buy them for you?

Jen: No, you can't do that. <pause>  Only if you'd use them too.  Think of what you could do with them!
 
Susan (weighing the pros and cons as she usually does when making a purchase, even if it's only a dollar):  Well, do you think we'd really use them?  I mean, I already have some sequins that you gave me a long time ago and I still haven't used them on a layout.  I don't know...are the colours really okay?  There's a lot of green and navy in here.
 
Jen:  Oh they're great!  Just look at them!  There's pale green and pink.  Look at that fuschia!!  I think I might see a turquoise one here too!  Think what you could do with them!

Susan:  Okay, I'll buy them.

Jen: Well, only if YOU really want them.
 
But inside she was actually crying, "Please...PLEEEEEEASE....BUY THE SEQUINS! They're only a dollar.  A dollar!  They're wonderful!  You'll never find a better deal on sequins.  Pleeeeeeeease!"
 
So, I bought the sequins.  And the best part is, when I got to the cash I was only charged 50 cents for them.  That's a whole lot of sequins for 50 cents!  We went back to Jen's place and opened the bag and split them between us and Jen was a happy camper...or should I say happy scrapper.
 
Seriously though, Jen has done so well with her No Buy Challenge that she honestly deserves 25 cents worth of sequins.  Me?  I'm not so big on sequins but who knows, maybe you'll see some on a layout one of these days...Jen was still convincing me of the possibilities as the afternoon went on.   ;-)
 
Until next time...
Susan :-)
 
PS: Some portions of this story may or may not have been slightly embellished for reader enjoyment. (Embellished with sequins?  Nah, no sequins.)

4 comments:

  1. LOL You're too funny! I actually think that your version is pretty accurate. Hey, desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm not too proud to beg. ;) Thanks for the sequins! They really are awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Very funny..and if you want to embellish for my enjoyment, you go right ahead because you are very good at it. This is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! great story and i'm envious that your sister is a scrapper too. I have two sisters and not one of them is interested!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.