Sunday, April 7, 2013

Storytelling Sunday...Nesting Dolls

It's Storytelling Sunday once again over at Sian's blog From High in the Sky.  And my contribution this month is my story of how a dream came true for me when my sister gave me a tiny set of nesting dolls.

Long ago, when I was a little girl I knew someone who had a set of wooden nesting dolls.  I seem to remember that it was my cousin, but memories sometimes get mixed up with time and it might have been a friend.  What I do remember is that I loved those dolls.  It was a good-sized set of about seven, and  I was very intrigued with how they fit one inside the other so nicely, down to that smallest one in the center.  I have to admit that I was a tad envious of the person who owned these dolls and I really wished that I had a set too. 

Throughout my life I always remembered those dolls and the way I'd felt about them.  When we lived in Montreal there was a souvenir shop that had many different sets of nesting dolls, in all sorts of colours and sizes, arranged in the display window.  As we'd be passing by the shop I sometimes stopped to look in at them but I could never justify the cost of buying one for myself just to satisfy this yearning I'd had as a child.

Fast forward to the summer of 2010 when I came to visit Jen in Alberta before we moved here.  We spent an afternoon at Fort Edmonton Park and stopped into a gift shop.  Behind the counter was a display of nesting dolls which I stopped to admire.  The sales lady showed us a beautiful set of 5 miniature dolls and I told Jen how I'd always wished I had a set.  We continued looking around the shop and without me knowing it Jen bought them for me.  I was now the proud owner of a set of nesting dolls - and not just any nesting dolls - miniature ones which makes them even better because I love miniature things! A dream come true.


But why are there two sets of dolls in this photo you ask?  Well, that's because during our move to the west I lost my nesting dolls.  Or thought I had.  For months after the move I searched high and low and could not find my precious dolls.  It was a sad thing, indeed.

But my sister is a kind soul and when we visited Fort Edmonton Park once again in the summer of 2011, she bought me another set of dolls (even though I tried my best to talk her out of it because I knew that my dolls had to be somewhere in my house).  This time it was a lovely turquoise set.  And wouldn't you know it, not two days later I found my pink set wrapped in tissue paper, tucked into a tiny tin and placed at the bottom of a storage chest so they wouldn't get damaged during the move. 

I love my little nesting dolls.  The tallest stands about 2 inches and the tiniest one isn't much more than a quarter inch tall.  I like to think that one day some little girl will be in my house and admire them and I'll be able to give her one of the sets so she won't spend half a lifetime pining over them like I did.

And that's the story of another of my precious things. There are lots more stories about precious things linked up on Sian's blog, so go and have a look...

Until next time...
Susan :-)

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story and a woderful sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Susan, I can completely relate to this! Your dolls are beautiful. I have wanted a set too since I was little and I did buy TSO a cheap set when she was little. I couldn't resist. But a miniature set? That would be the ultimate. I love tiny things too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story. I thought I was the only one who loved nesting dolls! I've always admired them but, like you, never bought any for myself. However, when a fellow worker returned from a visit to Russia, he gave me a gift of the most beautiful nesting dolls. So I know how you felt when you received yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like nesting dolls too - oddly those the ones we have are Wookie's. What a lovely sister you have indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love your story. The dolls look so cute! I'm glad the first set went missing. Everything happens for a reason and you were meant to have both sets. :) It was fun to surprise you with the second set. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely story and lovely dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dolls are beautiful. I love that our stories this month are about the same thing. There must be something inherently special about the nesting dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another here would love a set of nesting dolls but couldn't just buy a set for myself. What a lovely story and I can imagine your joy at receiving the first set./

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely story - the tiny nesting dolls are just so cute! Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Abi's story about her nesting dolls reminded me that I also have a set---one of the few things I've had since childhood. How lovely that you found yours---and now have two!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great story and your nesting dolls are beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet of your sister. Maybe someday a future granddaughter will show interest!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.