Sunday, April 28, 2013

Express Yourself! - CSI Case No. 68

Just a quick post today to show you what I created with last week's CSI challenge.  Here's the palette, a great mix of colours and such a fun inspirational image to go along with it!


As this month's theme is "humour" I thought this was the perfect time to do a page that I've been thinking about for quite a while now.  I wanted to document some of the funny expressions that Richard uses.  To understand why he does this requires a little bit of background information.
Richard was born into a French Canadian family and was a total francophone until he was 14.  At that time his father moved the family to Halifax, Nova Scotia - a very different part of Canada and very English.  This was a major change for this young teenager who only knew one word in English - hello.  But as he had no other choice, he learned to speak English.  Somehow though, he never mastered some of the more particular parts of the language, namely the expressions we use.  This has become quite amusing to our family as we never know what might come out of his mouth when he tries to use an expression.
I remember once when I'd only know him for a short time that he was talking about somebody being used as a "kidney pig".  I had no idea what he was talking about at first but then realized he meant "guinea pig".  That was the first of many that I've heard him utter over the years and I think if I'd started keeping a list back then I'd be able to fill a book by now!
We get a lot of amusement from this and regularly use some of his expressions.  We never refer to "the circle of life".  It's "the wheel of life" for us.  I've kept a list over the past while with the aim of documenting some of his funnier sayings and this is the page I created.




The background information of the story is written on a tag and tucked behind the photo and the front of the page contains this list of 9 "Richardisms" with their proper equivalents:

Kidney pig (Guinea pig)
Wheel of Life (Circle of Life)
Simmer Up (Calm Down)
That's All Over the Bridge (It's Water Under the Bridge)
I'm Full of Thumbs (I'm All Thumbs)
Washy Washo (Wishy Washy)
Backstreet Driver (Backseat Driver)
Put a Stick in the Road (Put a Stick in the Spokes)
Copywrite Entrenchment (Copywrite Infringement)

I used this sketch from the French site called Scrap Idees:


On a different note, it seems that Spring is finally coming to Alberta, long overdue and very welcome at this point!  We even got out today for a bit of geocaching.  I hope your weekend was good wherever you are and that the sun has been shining!

Until next time...
Susan :-)

2 comments:

  1. These are so funny!!! What a beautiful page too. Lots of great details. The weather since Friday has been fabulous. We went from 30 degrees and snow on Tuesday, to 70 degrees on Friday. Only here in MN/WI can that happen. LOL All weekend it was in the low 70's. It was wonderful. Windows open. LOTS of time outside. Glad I enjoyed it because believe it or not, Wed. night through Friday... back to the 30's for highs and the threat of snow... again, only in MN/WI with the teaser weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this LO and so great to finally see all of those expressions documented! Time to start collecting for the next LO of Richardisms.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.