Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Sad Discovery

We've had some beautiful warm, sunny days here recently and the snow is beginning to melt.  If you read my last post you'll know that we had a visitor to our backyard this past weekend - a lovely hawk who, in the process of swooping down to catch a bird in our tree, crashed into our window and then spent the better part of an hour recovering before flying away.  That was our interpretation of the events based on what we'd seen, but unknown to us it may not have been the entire truth and perhaps there was more to the story than we realized.

I looked out my window this morning and saw this:


And this poor bird lying lifeless in the snow puts a whole new spin on how events may have unfolded.  Was the hawk actually successful in catching his lunch after all but dropped it into the snow?  Was it actually the hawk who hit the window or was it this waxwing who, in a panic to escape the hawk or just the general commotion, got confused and flew into the window?  Or maybe it was both of them.  I guess we'll never know but it shifts my sympathy a little bit from the hawk and more toward this little creature.   

I looked back through the photos I took on Saturday to see if there were any clues as to what might have happened and I noticed something...


...that hole in front of the hawk.  Why did we not notice that and wonder what it was?  It seems obvious that the hawk knew exactly what was there - his lunch.  And now I'm thinking that maybe the hawk wasn't injured at all.  Maybe he just hung around for a while wondering what happened to his catch or trying to figure out how he could get it back.  Maybe he just gave up after a while and that's when he flew off.  Sad for the waxwing but that's nature at work I suppose.  I can't help but wonder if anyone missed him that day.  Or maybe it doesn't work that way in the bird world...

Until next time...
Susan :-)

1 comment:

  1. Awww. Now I feel sad. :( True is is the way that nature works but I hate to see any creature suffer. Great sleuthing on your part and this story has to be told in a double LO now. Good story for "Story Telling Sunday" too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.