Monday, October 10, 2011

10 Things - My Scrapbooking Essentials


It's that time once again - time to play along with Shimelle's 10 Things on the 10th!  This month I thought I'd list my scrapbooking essentials.  Patterned paper's a given so I didn't include that!  These are the items that I routinely use while creating layouts and don't think I could do without.

In no particular order...

1. Tim Holtz Distress Inks - a recent discovery for me.  I love the look of inking the edges of my page elements.  I currently have Frayed Burlap, Vintage Photo and Black Soot and am slowly building my collection as the need for different colours arises.


2. DMC Floss - I love to stitch on my layouts and it's rare that I don't include a tiny bit of stitching, even if it's only to sew on a button.

3. Inkssentials Foam Ink Applicator - the perfect tool for applying distress ink!  No messy fingers.  The ink goes on very softly and you can intensify the colour by adding additional layers.

4. Chipboard Alphas - actually, I have a huge weakness for alphas of any kind but the chipboard variety such as Thickers are my favourite. 

5. Bazzill Basics Piercing Tool - this little piercer is so comfortable to hold and gives you such control in making holes for stitching.


6. Tim Holtz Idea-ology Ruler - This is an amazing ruler.  One side is a regular ruler while the other is a centering ruler.  But the best part for me are the tiny holes that run at 1/8" intervals along one edge - ideal for piercing evenly spaced holes for stitching.  


7. Martha Stewart Starburst Punch - I love this punch and use it all the time whether layering it up with other items on the page, using the starburst as a flower center or just tucking a starburst under another page element to add a bit of colour or detail.  Love it!


8. Olfa Rotary Cutter - my method for cutting paper.  I guess it comes from years of quilting and using a rotary cutter to cut fabric.  Seems to be the only way I know how to cut accurately.
9. Foam Pop Dots - after finishing my Embellished Paper Doily project I truly understood the value of these little dots for adding dimension to a page and now they've become a part of my regularly used products.

10. Buttons - Buttons of any kind!  Plain and simple or fancy and elaborate, I love buttons and probably use them on every layout that I make. 


Would you like to read more 10 Things lists?  Hop over to Shimelle's blog where you'll find her list as well as links to many others.

Until next time...
Susan :-)

7 comments:

  1. This is the second recommendation for that ruler I've seen in the last couple of days - I so want one! I've had my eye on that punch too - maybe I should start a Christmas list ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list, love them all and the ruler sound fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific list and here's to the MS Starburst punch!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally love Tim Holtz distress inks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never have too many buttons - ;)
    YDH

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a foam applicator tool should be next on my list of things to buy! I love seeing what tools other scrappers use - I like the look of that ruler too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann said

    I have been looking to buy the Martha Stewart Starburst Punch but I have not been able to find it anywhere. Sure wish I could! I love your ten essentials for scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.