Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"Jen at 10" - Sketch #116 from The Scrappiest

I've finished a layout using this week's sketch from The Scrappiest.  What a great sketch this was to work with, and it seems that the DT at The Scrappiest had fun with it too because they all produced amazing layouts to inspire us!  I continued working with my counterfeit kit that I put together a couple of weeks ago and made some fun embellishments to use on my LO.

First, I used one of the kraft paper birds that I had cut with my Cricut.  I stamped the body of the bird with a text pattern, inked the beak and edges and added a tiny pearl for the eye.  I really like the finished product and think it added a nice touch to the LO.

Next, I made yo-yo flowers with the little piece of black and white houndstooth fabric that I had added to my kit.  These were amazingly simple to make - much easier than I had imagined.  I stitched a yellow button to the center of each flower to finish it off.

Here's my finished layout:


And this is the sketch from The Scrappiest:


I've also been busy putting the finishing touches on my scrapping area and am happy to say that the re-organization is finally complete!  This is now a very functional space, tailored to my needs and the way I like to scrap.

I loved Jen's idea of storing punches in a hang-up shoe holder so I found one at Walmart and used the same system of attaching tags to indicate which punch is in each pocket.


My journaling and title tags are now all sorted by colour family and stored in plastic containers.  This will make it much easier to find the type of tag I have in mind for a layout.


And finally, I found a great way to re-use this square vase given to me a couple of weeks ago by Jen and Rob.  The beautiful red flower lasted a week and once it was gone I decided to use the vase to hold chipboard die-cuts.

 
Sorting through and organizing my "stuff" gave me a real appreciation for what I have, and more importantly, how much I have and I realize that I really don't need much of anything for quite a while until I make a dent in this stash of products.  Participating in the Counterfeit Kit Challenge each month is the perfect way to put together amazing kits and be inspired to create with what we already own!

Until next time...
Susan :-)

17 comments:

  1. What a great LO, Susan! I LOVE that bird!!! So amazing to think it is hand made and an original! The yo-yo flowers look wonderful and add such a cute touch. I really like the title work here too. Great way to use some of the banner flags from JB. Your room looks terrific! Oh, mine will never be that organized!! ;) Fun to see all those tags! The tags for the punches look terrific! Great use for the little vase! See through is always best! (Geez, I used to be cute. hee hee Damn this aging thing! ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely layout. The title is really cool and I also love the yo- yo flowers.

    I really enjoyed the tour of the scraproom. Great organizing!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is cute. That is why I married her. DBnL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words! It is a great sketch! You have done a wonderful job!!!! Great layout with lovely embellies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bird is gorgeous - you are right, it is perfect for this layout. I love the flowers you made. Thanks for sharing your organizing tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan..Your layout is fabulous..love the stitching and the yo yo flowers.Did you make that bird? I also love your storage ideas..very cool. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your layout, great job on the sketch. I like some of your organization tips too. The shoe hanger is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan Your layout is beautiful. I love the bird and flowers and your stiching is really nice. I have my punches stored in a shoe holder also and I think I might just have to add tags to mine. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous page, I love the colour combination. Thanks for some fabulous storage ideas

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful!! I love the bird-and all of your embellies are just fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning LO, i love everything about it. And especially love the organization ides TFS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb layout. And I'm relieved to see that someone else likes journaling type tags as much as me - mine are still in one basket, although it is bursting at the splints.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous LO! I love the cute flower you made! Jen has always looked just the same! :) And your scrap space looks awesome! The shoe hanger is SUCH a great idea! :) Also, the vertical tag storage makes so much sense! I currently have everything in photo boxes, but that leads to a lot of digging...maybe vertical would be a better choice?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! Love the stitching and how you did the title!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your handmade embellishments and the yellow buttons are the perfect little touch. I love all your stitching too. Gorgeous take on the sketch...and I am super impressed with your scrappy space.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful take on the sketch, I love the bird!
    Thanks for joining us at The Scrappiest!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.