Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Little Me" - Sketch #111 from The Scrappiest

Since Jen has made the design team over at The Scrappiest, I've decided to play along and try to complete the weekly sketches.  I miss those days of working on the same challenge from back in 2009 when we both faithfully did the weekly sketches at Julie Bonner's 52 Sketches...52 Weeks blog.  This will be fun even though I'll always be one week behind Jen since she has to complete her LO to be revealed at the same time the sketch is put up for everyone to see at The Scrappiest.

For sketch #111 I thought I would finally cut into some of my coveted Sassafras Lass Indie Girl paper.  This is the line of paper for which Jen and I gave up a daytrip to Jasper last July on our way back from our vacation in Banff.  The night before we were leaving, Jen received a notification from the LSS that Indie Girl was finally in.  We kind of looked at each other, with the same thought in our heads, and decided right then and there that patterned paper was more important than seeing the wonders of nature at beautiful Jasper!  Hmmmm...addicted to paper?  Possibly.  However, while Jasper will always be here for us to visit (and we will definitely be taking a trip there this summer), Indie Girl might have sold out in a day and we'd have missed out on that wonderful paper! ;-)

I struggled a lot getting this LO done.  That bottom right-hand corner gave me lots of grief.  My initial vision of vertical rows of flowers stitched down just didn't work out.  I decided to walk away from the LO (yes, Jen, I walked away from it), came back to it yesterday and played around with different ideas but still wasn't sure what to do with it.  Finally this morning I got an idea that I liked. 


I have to give credit to Mary of Southern Moments for using her flag banner idea in the top left corner.  Thanks Mary. :-)  I also liked the way Jen added stitching to that corner so I scraplifted that idea too but added additional stitching on other sides of the LO.  Thanks Jen. :-)  It was fun to use some of my new products - the Maya Road kraft mini ticket and doily are really cute and Cosmo Cricket has tiny butterflies that layer perfectly with a larger butterfly that I made with a Martha Stewart punch.  I also used some of the twine that Jen gave me last week from The Twinery.  It is really good quality and ties very nicely.

Here's sketch #111 from The Scrappiest:


Tomorrow is scrappy day with Jen so we should have more peeks of the anniversary album. 

Until next time...
Susan :-)

4 comments:

  1. Aww, these pictures of little Susan are just the cutest. I don't remember seeing these! Loving your take on the sketch! You have definitely conquered the Sassafras! Loving the cloud from the Cricut. I have to make one soon! Maybe on tomorrow's anniversary LO? The kraft circles are the perfect touch, loving the flag banner too. I am so going to layer those little butterflies with the Martha punch!! It looks terrific! Thanks for playing along at The Scrappiest and I am so glad that you plan on doing the sketches! I love it when we do the same sketch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, your page is filled with so many wonderful details and inspiration. Thank you for all the details, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did just fine on that bottom corner - the layout looks great and too sweet of a photo girl!! I like the stitches along the corners and how you stitched thru the row of hearts!! The twine - perfect....and I too may have some of it to try!! Don't worry about the mountains in Jasper - come to my work and see the big snow pile out the back - looks the same (except for no sheep)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all...holy smokes, you were a cutie! This pics are great! :) I love what you did with the LO and I appreciate that you shared your struggles with it. Sometimes I create something that I'm really not happy with, and if walking away doesn't work (or I just finish it in frustration/experimentation mode) it really doesn't turn out...and then I don't blog about it. So thank you for blogging about it! LOL I think that was really wordy. Can you tell I'm tired? I spent all day making one of two Roman shades for our bedroom...meanwhile, the house around me is still in shambles...Hmmm...does this mean that I have crafty priorities like you and Jen with your Jasper-diversion? LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.