Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Misadventures in Water Conservation...

Things are different here in Alberta.  In Quebec we didn't have a water meter to measure our water usage.  Ever.  I realize that we paid for our water indirectly through our municipal taxes, but when you don't have a meter it gives you the impression that you're getting it for free and you don't really think about how much water you use every day.  Here, every drop is counted and added up and billed to us on a monthly basis, and it's freaking me out!

Yesterday we received our utility bill and I saw how much water we had consumed in 43 days and how much it's going to cost us.  Today I decided we should make more of an effort to use less water and this is the mess I ended up with tonight while cooking supper!


My brilliant idea was to use a little less water for steaming the carrots and broccoli.  Bad idea.  As I walked back into the kitchen I said, "Hmmm, smells like something's burning.  Smells a bit like coffee grounds."  And then we discovered the pot - not a trace of water left in it and burned black like I've never burned a pot before.  :-(

I used huge amounts of water trying (unsuccessfully) to clean the pot, so not only did I NOT end up conserving, I've ruined my really good Lagostina steaming pot and if steel wool doesn't fix the problem (I know, I'm not supposed to be scrubbing this pot with steel wool) I'm going to have to shell out money to replace the pot.  Not to mention the fact that there were no vegetables for supper.

Waaaaaah!

Like I said before, it was a really bad idea.  I've been told to stop obsessing so much about the water and just live.

Until next time...
Susan :-)

6 comments:

  1. OMG - it is just water for pete sake. Enjoy life to the fullest. Signed by the brother n law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL You are too funny!!! Hey, don't beat yourself up, water conservation is a good thing! Maybe try not to think about each drop of water used and just try not to really waste it, as a goal. Hope your pot is okay. That brand is pricey. David Suzuki would be proud of your efforts!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a suggestion for your pot - dry dishwasher detergent - sprinkle it - lots - over the bottom of the put - add a bit of water - let it soak - overnightish - then add more water and boil it on the stove - should work. As for the water I think we get a certain amount that we have a flat rate for and then it's over and above that useage that we are billed. Usually we don't go over unless it's lawn watering season - that's sherwood park tho. When you start collecting snow to melt to have a bath - watch out for the yellow stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you made me laugh soooo hard! I bet you learned a lesson or two with this one. Hope your pan is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm so glad you fixed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. too funny. Well, don't feel bad. Water here in Wisconsin is EXPENSIVE!!! Here in the states, we always have had to pay for water either in a quarterly or monthly bill. I have lived most my life in MN. Moved to WI six years ago. HUGE difference between the two states. My normal water bill here monthly is what I paid quarterly in MN. It was a bit of a sticker shock at first. Glad your pot is ok. I love your scrappy pages. You can definitely see some similarities between yours and Jen's scrapping styles. Both are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.