Friday, October 29, 2010

A Dog Named Mia

Mia is my brother’s dog.  I am not a dog lover – it’s cats all the way for me – but I really do like this dog.  She’s quiet and gentle and pleasant in every way.  You couldn’t ask for a nicer animal.

I have to give credit to Rob, Jen’s husband, for taking this cool photo of Mia.  The orange in this picture was just calling out to be used with the new Basic Grey Pyrus line.





















As much as I love this collection of papers, I really struggled using them.  After initially finishing the layout I realized that I didn’t like the background paper I’d used!  I carefully peeled all the elements of the page off the background, sacrificing the background sheet in the process. L 

Once I’d decided on the new background I then realized that the papers I’d used beside the photo now just seemed to blend into the background.  I added some hand stitching around the edges to help define them a bit more.  I also hand stitched some subtle swirls under the title to fill in some of the space there.

The best part of doing this layout was getting to use some of my crocheted flowers as embellishments!  This is the “new & improved” version made from fine mercerized cotton thread.  They are much more delicate than the ones I showed you after my first attempt at this.


I used this sketch from Sketch Inspiration as inspiration for my LO.


Sometimes scrapbooking can be a struggle but it's always fun and I guess in the end it makes us appreciate the finished product even more!

Until next time...
Susan :-)

4 comments:

  1. Terrific LO, Susan! Pyrus is the perfect choice for this Mia picture! Your flowers look amazing and all the hand stitching is great!!! The journaling tags are great on this. I love this sketch too. I have it in my file! Glad you are enjoying the bloggy life!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan... this is gorgeous! Your crochet flowers are beautiful and so is everything on you page. That stitching is very pretty and I admire your detailing and patience! Mia looks like she is an adorable doggy. Have a "sweet' day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This LO turned out awesome, Susan! I know what you mean about that background paper - I recently used the same paper as a background for a DT page for my LSS, and I found I had to add pen-lines around the elements to help define them against that busy paper...but I love how it turned out! That Pyrus line is so folksy - it's the perfect background to highlight those awesome crocheted flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the composition of the shot of Mia and your paper choice is perfect for her. Your little embellies are a nice touch. How exciting for you to be coming out west - hope we will get to meet in person!! terry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.