Saturday, October 23, 2010

Crocheted Flower Embellishments

I recently picked up the November/December issue of Paper Crafts.  I LOVE this magazine because of all the great inspiration it gives me for card making.  There is a very simple card on page 37 which features crocheted flowers as an embellishment.





















Since I used to crochet once-upon-a-time, I figured I’d try my hand at making some of these for Jen and myself.  Off I went to WalMart where I bought a spool of Aunt Lydia’s Bamboo Crochet Thread. Paper Crafts even provides instructions for crocheting the flowers but, for whatever reason, I had trouble following them.  I found alternate directions on the internet and spent the evening making some flowers.

By using different sized crochet hooks I came up with two sizes of flowers.  Mine have a chunkier look than those in the magazine because of the type of thread I used.  I may buy a finer thread to try to achieve a more delicate look like in the magazine.

The nice thing about these is that you don’t have to worry much about weaving in the thread ends too neatly since the back of the flower will never be seen.  A button or brad can be added to the flower center to fancy it up.



















For anyone who knows how to crochet, this is an inexpensive way to add an original homemade touch to cards and layouts!

Until next time...
Susan :-)

8 comments:

  1. Greetings from Northern Canada! What an awesome idea! I only ever learned very basic crochet techniques, but I love to "self-teach" these sorts of things...thanks for the inspiration on this snowy Saturday morning! :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted you to know that I passed along a blog award to you this morning, Susan! :) http://pursuitofscrappyness.blogspot.com/2010/10/5-fibs-and-truth.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, these are amazing and how lucky am I to be getting some to use on my LO's!! Can't wait!! Talk about that home crafted creative feel that we were discussing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous flowers... i think i need to learn to crochet!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Hmmm...I have a stash of embroidery thread somewhere in this house of mine...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey hey hey ! those are wonderful crochet flowers ! so happy you dont need to BUY yours ! ( unlike some of us ! teehee ! ) envy ! envy !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan.. i have just hopped onto your blog and i like the warmth and lovely layouts so i have joined!! i love the flowers, i used to crochet around washers etc so i wonder if it is similar to that?? anyway i hope you are having a great day! xx lizzy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.